Saturday 5 October 2013

Fairy Dust


Thursday nights are just resonantly starting to become a night of baking. My other half and I got together last week and decided to bake brownies. (like the fool I am I forgot to take photos so I was unable to tell share on here.) As they were such a success I thought id make some fairy cake.
There's something about fairy cakes that just reminds me of my childhood, my mum used to help run a coffee morning at are church on a Saturday and we'd often bake cakes to take along with us to sell as well. I used to love helping out as a kid I would help wash up, collect cups on a little trolley, lay out the cakes and spend my morning dying to see what ones will be left so I could get to have one hehe.
One of the reason my mum helped run the coffee mornings was because of the Ballet classes that were held in the church hall. I loved to listen to the music which they dances to while wishing I could be a ballerina like all the other girls.I always wanted to but never felt I could or would be good enough. Ive always felt self conscious about the way I look from such a young ages, I always felt I could never be anything due to my size and figure.

Anyways enough about my inner issues, if you'd like to learn how to make/see how I made these yummy fair cakes then your in luck.

Things You'll Need :D

  • 110g of Butter or Margarine 
  • 110g of Caster Sugar
  • 2 Eggs 
  • 110g of Self Raising Flour 


Right lets began :)


First things first your going to need to find your self a big sized mixing bowl (as you can see I'm using this big blue one ^^.). 
Add both sugar and butter into a bowl and mix together.
next you'll need to add your eggs to your butter mixture and cream together.(Try not to break the eggs away from the bowl, I did and trust me eggs are a bit*h to clean :(.)
Once your eggs are all mixed in nicely time to add your flour. You do what the fancy recipes say and sieve in your flour but who can be bothered with that :P. 
woowhoo were almost day.


Its spooning time
Once your cake mixture is ready get your self some little cup cake/fair cake cases and spoon in the mixed, (depending on the size of case, spoon in to about half way up the cause.)
then its ready to place in the over. (doesn't matter what shelf i think just shove it in :p)

 

While you wait for them to cook tidy up cause leaving it all to the end is never fun.
After 30 minuets your cakes should be nice and golden. (or if like mine a little to golden cause you got bored and went on instagram for more then 30 minuets) 
Once your cakes are cool its time for icing :) lets face it the decorating is the best part of baking.

For The Butter Icing
For every spoon of butter add 3 to 4 spoon fulls of icing sugar.
(I feel its really all in the taste, keep adding the icing sugar to the butter until its as sweet as your happy with)

Like you did before mix both icing sugar and butter together until smooth and creamy. Once you feel your butter icing is sweet enough, go a head and add in some food colouring to make you cakes stand out and look pretty hehe. (being the big fail that i am, i forgot to buy food colouring :( )



(I dunno if you can see in the picture) To get the swirling effect with your icing i used a piping bag. you can pick them up pretty much every where, where you'd find baking stuff.
Then to finish it all off, top off you cakes with little sweets of your choice or anything you like really :D






I decided to use little sugar butterfly's which were from Sainsburys, some sour raspberry glitter from Wilkinson (they have an awesome new baking section BTW) and some old classic 100 1000s.
OMG this stuff is soo good i could just eat it on its own, or with a lolly pop like a dib-dab <3


And here you have it little cute and yummy fairy cakes all nice and ready for you to eat :).





No comments:

Post a Comment